It took me a while to figure out what #OOTD meant (that's Outfit Of The Day for those who are not up to date). Yes, I post #selfies but I am not one who is quick witted when it came to "hash tags." The #FTW did not make sense to me for a period of time because I would read it as "Free The Whales." I am still trying to figure out why we have chosen "sans" instead of the simpler word "without" to show "celeb sans make-up" photos. But that will be tackled on a different post.
Today is all about bettering our Instagram feeds. Let's change up the #selfies a little bit and bring them up a notch. Let us try our best to stop posting mirror #selfies, forward facing camera #selfies, and pretending someone else took that picture #selfie. Let us vow to clean our Instagram feeds and flood our followers with better taken self portraits.
I did my research. It did not require much time away from my daily routine as this particular "research" is part of my social media ritual. I went through several #selfie posts on Instagram and took notes. I have simple tips/reminders to bring your self portrait to the next level:
1) Have a trusted #OOTD best friend. It is simply better when photos are taken by someone else. Good riddance #selfies and hello to #besties. No? #besties does not work? I gave it a shot.
2) It really helps to have photos with a clean background. This means no bathrooms; no other people; nothing too busy; no props; no laundry basket — Basically you want to be the focus of the shot! Make sure lighting and picture quality is also good. Not grainy or blurry. Does not have to be high resolution (it is preferred though) but it has to be clear.
3) You want your self-portrait to show more of you. Don't hide behind a hat or sunglasses, or wear big pieces of jewelry (that are unnecessary) as these can be distracting from you. You want it to be all about you because why would you be reading this guide in the first place if you don't want to share your self portraits. Ahem.
4) Swimsuit shots should only be taken by the beach or poolside as that is wear you use them. Hence, more natural #OOTD shots. Swimsuit #OOTD inside the bedroom just does not make sense. The point is that make sure the background theme (when outdoors) matches the #OOTD.
5) Have fun with the shots. Be natural! Don't try and be too sexy or too posed. You will look the hottest when you are comfortable, smiling and having fun! They do say happiest girls are the prettiest. Unless it's an ad campaign that your were part of or photo shoot for a fashion editorial where you are "not you" and being a model, all your #OOTD should be you, your smile, and your self, I meant outfit. (#OOTD is really another good excuse to post self portraits).
Whatever the "hash tag" we choose to use or trend for the year 2014 let's all make it count. #Selfies, #OOTD, #NoFilter, #SansMakeUp the common denominator is a self portrait feeding the ego of our vanity. Yes, ours. Because I hate to be alone there. This 2014 New Year's Resolution should be interesting. Feel free to send me your before and after self portraits. I would love to feature them and give out prizes to the best ones! Cheers! Happy 2014 to us all.